Cabbage for Dinner
About this cabbage recipe, our Eldest declared: “I don’t like it, I love it!” This was immediately following her comment that the potatoes were “kind of boring and plain.” I think she meant to say “pass the salt, please?” But yeah, this was definitely a cheap and easy meal, and we served thirds to everyone. The whole dinner was cabbage with sausage, baked apples, and roasted potatoes. We’ve also had it vegetarian, adding whole wheat pasta instead of potatoes. If you add lots of pepper it’s quite tasty that way as well. And, I only recently became aware that cabbage is a powerhouse vegetable, well-worth including in our diets! Previously, I’d always thought it was more like iceberg lettuce, but not so. Eat up!
Roast Cabbage with Sausage (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Quarter and core a head of cabbage, then cut into large pieces, about 2″ square.
- Place into roasting pan – the closer you are to a single layer the more browned and delicious it’ll be, but I’ve been known to stick it all into one large roasting pan and that works.
- Cut into small pieces 2-4 pre-cooked sausages. We used apple-gouda this time. Add to the cabbage.
- Mix a bit of olive oil (or other fat of your choosing), salt, and pepper in as well. If using the sausage, be sure to use a light hand on the oil. If no sausage, you’ll want to use enough that it just coats the cabbage.
- Place the whole thing in the oven. Stir every 10 minutes. It should be ready in about 30 minutes, or when the cabbage starts to get browned and caramelized on the edges.